Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sometimes I wonder...
I know that at times, to other people, we all have our moments of ignorance.  You know, when you do or say something and there's no turning back and no rational explanation that can be given, nothing to say that won't make the matter seem even worse.  To both yourself and the other person/people.
 But sometimes I wonder how some people make it  through the day.  And through the next day.  And eventually through life.
  For example I had two exchanges with what appeared to be a fully functioning woman, while she was shopping in my store.  First she approached holding a "Harleys Rule" coffee mug-"Does this mean Harley the motorcycle?" she asked "Yes." I replied.  Certainly not the all time dumbest question I've been asked, but Harley is one of the world's most recognized brands and I was left wondering, is there some other Harley?  Ah, whatever, maybe there are a whole bunch of Harleys out there with other meanings and associations and   I am the ignorant one.  Then she brings up a car magnet, one of those oval "euro" deals just like the decals except, you know, its a magnet. It sticks to metal.  You can move it or remove it if you want to.  It is clearly marked "magnet".  She knows this is a magnet, sees it , reads it, and then she says it.  "will this magnet stick to glass?"  she asks.  "No." I reply resisting the urge to add that it will stick to metal however.  Now I don't mean to be condescending; we all have our "blind spots"-mine in the realm of anything mechanical or involving any tools more elaborate than a hammer, screwdriver and pliers.  But imagining this woman out in the world or worse in a grocery store left me wondering what it must be like.  Seriously.  I felt a little bad, I mean I don't have to go to the hardware store (much) or the auto parts store (at all).  But everybody has to grocery shop, don't they?  And if they don't, without the necessities that we buy at the market, they'd have to make menu choices at a restaurant (even worse or harder for someone like this than shopping) and select a hotel or motel.  Imagine checking in to your hotel room, finding a queen bed and (gulp) you're not a queen.
  Maybe a little harsh but I do sometimes wonder how people like this function. seriously.

1 comment:

  1. I get "what state is Vermont in" a lot.

    I've decided that you need to post more.

    ReplyDelete